Re: Learning "my emacs" from the start (was: Generating a listing of all

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Learning "my emacs" from the start (was: Generating a listing of all symbols)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 13:01:28 -0600

Rusi wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote
> > > One problem is that the standard emacs keys appear to be changing.  I
> > > like the traditional emacs keys.  But many people prefer CUA mode.
> > > CUA mode drives me crazy.  Much of my .emacs file is to change things
> > > back to traditional settings.
> >
> > The standard keybindings are changing (slowly) to be more friendly to
> > newcomers.  We the veteran users count less, since we already know how
> > to customize Emacs to behave like we are used to.
>
> Thank you for these sentiments!

Sorry but I disagree.  Unfortunately that sounds all too much like the
common, "I love you.  You're perfect.  Now change."  :-(

I really don't mind people creating new modes and new programs with
different keybindings.  That's great.  It is only when that breaks it
for existing users that I think it is bad.

Bob