custom backspace

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: custom backspace
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 16:00:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I'd really like an emacs configuration whereby backspace will go back one layer
of indentation if the previous character is an indented whitespace, for all
programming language modes.

Also, I'd really like control-backspace to be contextual so that it will eat up
all the whitespace if the previous character is whitespace, or delete a word
(which I think is the default) if the previous character is a non-whitespace
character.

Can anybody please help me to get this set up?

Best regards,
Sam