Re: Notes-Mode package problem (was dir(Top) is in French ?!?)

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Notes-Mode package problem (was dir(Top) is in French ?!?)
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 22:33:07 -0700

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

>> I don't think this was always this way.  Perhaps some LANG variable got
>> changed, but which?
>>
>> The very top of the Emacs Info has suddenly been translated to French.
>> All of the menu items in the Info tree are still in English (AFAIK) --
>> just the first couple of paragraphs have changed as in:
>>
>> File: dir,   Node: Top       Ceci est le haut de l'arborescence INFO
>>
>>   Ceci (le noeud Répertoire) fournit un menu des sujets majeurs.
>>   « d » pour revenir à cet endroit,
>>   « h » fournit un guide d'initiation pour les nouveaux venus,
>>   « mEmacs<Return> » démarre une consultation du manuel Emacs, etc.
>>
>>   En Emacs, vous pouvez cliquer avec le bouton-2 de la souris sur un item
>> menu
>>   ou sur une référence croisée pour le sélectionner.
>>
>> What's the problem?
>
> Found the problem!  I installed the notes-mode package and it has a
> "dir" file that is written in French.  ELPA added this package to the
> front of Info-directory-list and, so, this became the top of Info.
>
> Can someone fix Notes-Mode?

By the way, this seems like a fundamental design problem with Info that
has been inherent in Info as far back as I can remember.  I believe I
ran into this same issue some 15+ years ago.  Basically, there should be
one dir-top file (that can be LANG localized) in Emacs and all other dir
files should be concatenated onto it.

--
David Masterson
Programmer At Large