Re: tutorial for rmail and IMAP

From: James Freer
Subject: Re: tutorial for rmail and IMAP
Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 08:28:20 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014, David Hume wrote:

Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:

Hi all,

I'm seriously considering using emacs as my mail client and I should like to
give rmail a try.

However, despite several google searches and having a look at the rmail
website, I cannot find any tutorials for an rmail beginner.

Does anybody know of an rmail tuturial that will:

1. get me set up with IMAP (specifically gmail)
2. auto-complete recipients using my google address book
3. typical use-cases (receiving mail, sorting mail, responding, etc)

If so, I'd be really very pleased.

Best regards,
Sam

I have just followed these instructions:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail#toc4

You managed to get yahoo working with imap. I've been trying to do that without success.

And got gmail and yahoo working with imap, at least for reading. I had
to set up application passwords for both as I have second factor
authentication.

What imap and smtp codes did you use? From what I can gather yahoo has imap codes for reading mail on mobile phone apps but not PC email.

james