color theme won't autoload at startup when running in terminal

From: Hikaru Ichijyo
Subject: color theme won't autoload at startup when running in terminal
Date: 10 May 2014 10:45:25 GMT

I've been trying to run the color theme "fischmeister" from my .emacs at
startup, but it won't seem to run when I'm on a text terminal ('emacs
-nw') unless I load it myself.  Here's the behavior I'm getting:

- Run with X11 from .emacs:                     works fine

- Run in terminal manually with
    'M-x color-theme-fischmeister'              works fine

- Run in terminal autostarted from .emacs       no error, but no effect

I've tried paring my .emacs down to the bare minimum that will run
without an error, resulting in just:

(color-theme-initialize)
(color-theme-fischmeister)

This will run with no error, but curiously has no effect at all.  Oddly,
if I manually type 'M-x color-theme-fischmeister', it then loads.

Any idea why it acts this way?  I'm running GNU Emacs 24.3.1.

--
He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent