Re: conditionally enabling a mode in define-minor-mode context

From: Matthias Dahl
Subject: Re: conditionally enabling a mode in define-minor-mode context
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 17:14:37 +0200

Hello Drew...

Thanks for taking the time. :)

> Without thinking much about it, I'm guessing you could define two minor
> modes, one of which you turn on everywhere and which controls the
> conditional enabling of the other.  Again, just a thought, without
> reflection - ignore if not helpful.

Hm... interesting. Never thought about that. Meanwhile I was thinking
about just doing everything manually instead of using the macro to
define a minor mode. This would give me the freedom to do what I want.

But having a "sentinel" minor mode that just checks and conditionally
activates the "real" minor mode, is also an interesting concept. I'll
need to think this through. Thanks.

The only reason for all of this: I want to make it as easy as possible
for users to use this minor mode w/o spending time fiddling with it and
w/o non-working key bindings (...) because the mode is in a "not working
with this buffer" state.

So long,
Matthias

--
Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Matthias Dahl | Software Engineer | binary-island.eu
 services: custom software [desktop, mobile, web], server administration