Re: Why is emacs on my mac?

From: Jai Dayal
Subject: Re: Why is emacs on my mac?
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 17:14:01 -0400

It's common for operating systems to ship with programs that help the user
use the machine. Mac OSX is Unix, and for its set of programs, it has
chosen to use a combination of existing GNU software (such as the text
editor Emacs), some stuff from BSD, and its own programs that it developed
in house.

Windows does the same thing (i.e., cmd.exe, powershell, notepad, etc),
except it doesn't use anything from GNU or BSD since it's not Linux or
Unix.

Jai