emacs24 shell mode completion

From: anton
Subject: emacs24 shell mode completion
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 10:38:00 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all,

I usually live inside the shell mode (M-shell) of emacs. Up to emacs23
the following snipped worked:

> echo "Hello world" > a_very_long_name.txt
> bzip2 -c a_very_long_name.txt > a[TAB]

when pressing TAB at this point, emacs completes with
"a_very_long_name.txt", so I just add a suffix ".bz2" at the
end. However, with emacs24 and its new pcomplete feature, this does not
longer work, i.e.,

> echo "Hello world" > a_very_long_name.txt
> bzip2 -c a_very_long_name.txt > a[TAB]

when pressing [TAB] I receive a "No match" message (and no completion is
performed).

Is there any way to either:

- modify pcomplete rules do that the above works
- disable pcomplete from shell-mode

best,
                                aitor