Re: changing from \cite{1} to \cite{MacRae,2002}

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: changing from \cite{1} to \cite{MacRae,2002}
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 15:45:33 +0100

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> I am using latex and working on a document all in
>> emacs. I have been using the biblatex citation system
>> with the style "numerical", but now want to use
>> "authoryear".
>
> First, your post looks a complete mess! I don't know if
> it is my Gnus but I doubt it as I haven't seen anything
> that plain chaos (since my last birthday party at
> least) - just type, man!

Wrong! I don't know of any "man" called Sharon! :)

> Here is how to do it - the trick is to not have any
> "operational" data in the biblatex file - just the
> sources.
>
> For example, if you have the poor taste of taking an
> interest in databases - in db.bib:
>
> @Book{mcfadden,
> author = {McFadden and Hoffer and Prescott},
> title = {Modern Database Management},
> publisher = {Addison-Wesley},
> year = 1998,
> ISBN = {0-8053-6054-9},
> edition = {5th edition}}
>
> Then, in db.tex, you keep everything to it that relates
> to *your* activity (the pages in this example):
>
> \cite[pp. 233, 237]{mcfadden}
>
> You can see how it works in context here [1] - perhaps
> there are a couple of settings in the .tex file that
> prepare it all to work. Don't forget the Makefile so
> you can invoke it all in one stroke.

Yes, but! Your references appear in the text as numbers, i.e. [1]
which is not what I'm after. I'm looking for "author/editor, year".

> Also, check out comp.text.tex.

I'll certainly see if its on gmane, thanks for this.

> Good luck!
>
> [1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/latex/degree/

Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.91.1