Re: changing from \cite{1} to \cite{MacRae,2002}

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: changing from \cite{1} to \cite{MacRae,2002}
Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 10:00:23 +0100

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
> 2> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

>>> So pass the option "natbib" or "author-year" or whatever you prefer to
>>> biblatex.  See "texdoc biblatex", section "3.3.1 Citation Styles".
>>>
>>> Or use biblatex-chicago. I use it like this:
>>>
>>> \usepackage[authordate, natbib, backend=biber,citetracker=true,
>>>   uniquename=mininit, ibidtracker=false,
>>>   maxcitenames=2]{biblatex-chicago}

Thank you very much for your excellent and very informative reply,
and it all works! I have only created one reference ATM, but I'll
spend more time on it today. However, when I've created the
reference and look at it in the PDF, it shows as "(MacRae and
Pattison 2002)" but only 2002 is hyperlinked. How can I get the
whole reference be hyperlinked please?

And in the references section it displays as
MacRae, K., and J. Pattison. 2002. “Home chemotherapy.” Nursing Times 98 (35):
34–
35.
Is there anyway in which the "(MacRae and Pattison 2002)" could be
shown at the beginning of the reference so its easier to look it up
when the book is printed please?

Thanks
Sharon.

>> Thanks for this, using your "\usepackage" above, but which do I use
>> for the bib database? I've tried both but I'm not sure which is
>> working.
>> \addbibresource{uh2014.bib}
>> \bibliography{uh2014}
>
> Use \addbibressource{·} where · is the path to your bib-file.
>
>> This is part of "uh2014.bib"
>> @Article{MacRae2002,
>>   author = {MacRae K. Pattison J.},
>
> this should be
>
>      {K. MacRae and J. Pattison}
>
> or
>
>     {MacRae, K. and Pattison, J.},
>
>>   title = {Home chemotherapy.},
>>   journaltitle = {Nursing Times},
>
> journal = {·} is also OK.
>
>>   year = {2002},
>>   key = {MacRae2002},
>
> you probably don't need key.
>
>>   volume = {98},
>>   number = {35},
>>   pages = {34-35},
>
> use -- for separating numbers.
>
>> }
>>
>> and in the text it is cited as
>> ╭────
>> │\cite{MacRae2002}
>> ╰────
>>
>> but it shows in the pdf as "M. K. P. J. 2002."
>>
>> How can I get it to show as"[MacRae2002]" please?
>
> \parencite{MacRae2002} → (MacRae, 2002)
> \textcite{MacRae2002}  → MacRae (2002).
>
> If you truly want the KEY to show up and not a combination of the
> author and the year you'd need some other style.
>
> With the option natbib you can also use natbib commands.  See
>
>      texdoc natnotes
>
> —Rasmus

TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.91.1