RE: setting default font name

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: setting default font name
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 15:03:19 -0700 (PDT)

> Drew, copying and pasting your suggested lisp into my init file produced
> the same error:
>
>   "Symbol's value as variable is void: default-font"
>
> Here's what I copied, taken from the init file paste:
>
> (add-to-list
>   'default-frame-alist
>   '(font .
>     "-bitstream-Courier 10 Pitch-normal-normal-normal-*-16-*-*-*-m-0-
> iso10646-1"))
>
> (set-face-attribute
>   'default t :font
>   "-bitstream-Courier 10 Pitch-normal-normal-normal-*-16-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-
> 1")

Sounds like a copy-paste error.  There is no "default-font" in what
you should have pasted.

My guess is you used "default-font" instead of "default", and you
forgot the quote mark in front of "default": 'default.

And you do not need to copy & paste all of that. Those are two
*alternative* ways to do what you want - two alternative snippets
to copy+paste.

(If I evaluate one of those sexps then I get an error saying that
that particular font is not available on my machine, which is
correct in my case.)