Re: setting default font name

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: setting default font name
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 11:05:11 -0400

>> To avoid any "default-font" in the remainder of the init file I created
>> a little test situation. I run:
>>
>>   $ emacs -q -l .emacs-test
>>
>> and in .emacs-test is nothing but:
>>
>>  (set-face-attribute
>>   'default t :font
>>   "-bitstream-Courier 10
>>    Pitch-normal-normal-normal-*-16-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1")
>>
>> When emacs opens, I do M-x describe font and am told the current font is
>> Deju Sans.
>
> (I assume there was no newline char in the middle of that
> font name, in your test.)

That break was an artifact of a line wrap in the message I sent you. The
font name not broken in the init file. I should have said something.

> So you didn't get the error you reported earlier.

No, that is correct. In the init file I was using, there was burried a
"default-font" variable. That's why I moved to a clean elementary init.

> Do you have that bitstream font installed?

Good question. I assumed I did because in emacs menu, I can go to
Options, Set Default font, and choose the bitstream font for a
document. That document keeps that font when reopened.

> What do you see in buffer *Messages* about this - anything?

No.

> What happens if you use `emacs -Q' and you evaluate the sexp
> in *scratch*, instead of putting it in an otherwise empty init
> file?

It returns "nil" on next line. I'm not familiar with lisp evaluation and
so don't know what the nil means. No errors?

If I open emacs -Q the font used for the scratch buffer header is Deju
Sans. I can go to Options, Set Default Font, and change the header to
bitstream Courier 10 pitch. If I then click "Save Options", I get the
warning: "Saving options from 'emacs -q' would overwrite existing
configutations". I don't understand. What existing configurations? Is it
simply saying that henceforth the scratch buffer will use the bitstream
font? But in fact it does not, for next time it is opened it uses the
Sans.

Haines