Re: setting default font name

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: setting default font name
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 06:58:28 -0400

Jacob Gerlach <jacobgerlach@gmail.com> writes:

> At risk of showing my ignorance, I use a simpler syntax from the emacs wiki
> (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SetFonts#toc2) to set my font. In .emacs:
>
> (set-frame-font "DejaVu Sans Mono-12")

My impression is that set-frame-font does something different than
set-frame-attribute, set-default-font, or custom-set-faces. I was
unclear about the differences and so stuck with custom-set-faces, for it
turns out to work.

> I don't have bitstream courier installed, so I couldn't test this for your
> font, but I would assume the equivalent line for you would be something
> like
>
> (set-frame-font "Bitstream Courier-10")

This produces font not found error message.

I finally am able to open an emacs session that relies on a custom init
file using the -q -l options by setting the font in a session that is
started without the -q option, and then save that font to its init
file. Then I can copy that material to the init file used with the -q
option. This is what is not working:

  (custom-set-faces
    '(default ((t (:family "Courier 10 Pitch" \
    :foundry "bitstream" :slant normal :weight normal :height 113 \
    :width normal)))))

I found I could simplify this to:

  (custom-set-faces
    '(default ((t (:family "Courier 10 Pitch")))))

Haines