Re: artist-mode/aa2u

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: artist-mode/aa2u
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 17:49:13 +0200

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnu.org> writes:

> You can "mask" that text w/ ‘aa2u-mark-as-text’.

Aha, cool!

> BTW, if anyone has any particularly fetching examples
> of ascii-art-to-unicode.el at work (or play) that
> they'd like to contribute to its tip jar page, please
> post it to this mailing list w/ "aa2u zow" in the
> subject line.  You can post either only the ASCII, in
> which case i'll prepare a "before and after" file
> (and screenshot), or a file that does the "before and
> after" demo including instructions on how to get from
> "before" to "after".
>
> I will credit contributors on the tip jar page, of
> course.

Perhaps *I* should credit *you* in my paper! But then I
suppose I would have to credit Bjarne Stroustrup for
C++, Donald Knuth for TeX, Leslie Lamport for LaTeX,
down to Gutenberg for the printing press... It would be
a massacre.

No, of course I can send the stuff to you when its
done. But you might even more interested in this [1],
namely, how it looks and works in an
xelatex-compiled PDF (instead of pdflatex; xelatex is
in the Debian texlive-xetex package).

Cred to the people at comp.text.tex for helping me with
that.

>> Also, when typing, that typically screws up the
>> figure, so can you make it insert text while
>> simultaneously eating whitespace at the other end?
>
> This is what the venerable ‘overwrite-mode’ does.

OK, silly me. Of course. (That, or something to that
extent, is applied by default in the artist-mode, by
the way.)

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/hs/docs/report/xformal/

--
underground experts united: