Fixing key bindings on some terminals

From: Kevin Le Gouguec
Subject: Fixing key bindings on some terminals
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 10:32:33 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I'm running Emacs (23.2.1) in various terminals (Terminator 0.93, XTerm 261)
and I'm trying to set the following behaviour:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-?") 'help-command)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-h") 'delete-backward-char)
(global-set-key (kbd "M-h") 'backward-kill-word)
(global-set-key (kbd "M-?") 'help)

I.e. move "help" to C-? so that I can use C-h to delete stuff backwards.

However with Terminator, C-? ends up behaving like C-h. Running "describe-key"
and giving "C-?" as input gives information about the "DEL" key ; with XTerm,
running "describe-key" and typing "C-?" prints the prompt in the minibuffer and
waits for the final input, as expected.
I tried to test some other bindings like "C-," ; again, XTerm recognized the
shortcut, while Terminator only recognized ",".

I know this is not really a problem with Emacs, but I'd like to know how I can
pinpoint what application "eats" my shortcuts (is it Terminator, Openbox
(3.5.0), something else entirely?). Basically I'm trying to get C-? to work
with Terminator (I tried replacing Terminator with multi-term in Emacs but I'm
still not satisfied with it). While I'd love it if anyone could provide a
complete graph of causes and effects and the steps needed to get what I want,
I'd still be glad with just a few pointers on what I need to learn/look for to
fix how Emacs receives key presses when running inside Terminator.

Thanks in advance!