Re: RTF for emacs

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: RTF for emacs
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 18:11:18 +0100

Allan Streib <astreib@indiana.edu> writes:

> Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:
>
>> I've tried to learn it.  I found it difficult to learn and I found
>> the resources on the internet poor.  Almost all of them seem to assume
>> that the user has read one of the books on the subject already.
>
> I learned the basics from _Learning LaTeX_ by Griffiths and Higham.
>
>  http://www.amazon.com/Learning-LaTeX-David-F-Griffiths/dp/0898713838
>
> It's a small book, but gives you enough to get going on the basics. It is
> written for the beginner and presents just the essentials.  You can then
> learn more from other resources as your needs/desires dictate.

I'm re-writing a book that I published over ten years ago, and in
the intervening period I've lost the sources, so I'm essentially
starting from scratch again. I started doing it in org-mode, and
have since converted it to latex, and these sites have helped me the
most -

http://www.sharelatex.com/learn/Main_Page
http://texblog.org/
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX

The first starts with building a basic document and has lots of
examples. Then it shows you how to change things and do different
things with the latex source. The last one is similar, and gives you
more of the theory behind it all. The texblog poses problems and
gives you solutions.

It helps if you have an idea of what you achieve, and then you can
gradually build your document up.

Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.91.1