Re: Reuse frame with emacsclient and/or use shell aliases when finding f

From: lee
Subject: Re: Reuse frame with emacsclient and/or use shell aliases when finding files
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 01:42:26 +0200

Jacob Gerlach <jacobgerlach@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to better integrate my workflow in emacs. I've read a lot
> about using emacs server, and experimented a little bit with setting
> it up. If I open files with emacsclient, I end up with multiple
> separate frames (I think I mean frame and not window. I've never been
> positive I correctly understand the terminology). Although the frames
> are connected through the server, I miss some of the navigation
> functionality I get when I have multiple windows in a frame
> (other-window, kill-buffer-and-window, etc).

Are you looking for 'emacsclient -n'?

There is a problem when you have multiple frames, though:  How do you
decide in which frame the visited file will be displayed?  Is it
possible to specify that when starting emacsclient?  --- I usually have
at least two frames for different purposes, and using emacsclient to
visit a file or to create an email usually doesn`t put the file/email
into the frame I`d like to have it in.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.