Re: Frustrated with Font issues

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Frustrated with Font issues
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 19:37:38 +0200

Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
>  I am using RHEL 6.5 and am running emacs 24.3 with a GUI. The fonts look
> absolutely horrible, and the fonts that I have available via set-frame-font
> are atrocious as well. I have asked in several places about this issue, and
> I'm always blown off and told "blahh set something something in
> .Xresources", but nothing ever specific.
>
> People have said that it's an issue with X11, but I'm not convinced; every
> other GUI application has normal looking fonts. Even the GUI version of Vim
> has normal fonts; how can it be an X server or RHEL problem when every
> other application has a sufficient set of fonts to use? This is clearly an
> Emacs problem at this point.
>
> If I use emacs in the terminal without X the fonts look fine. My terminal
> says the font is "Monospace 10", and if I do C-u C-x = I get
> display: terminal code #x3B
>
> When I do C-u C-x = with GUI emacs, I get:
> -adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--14-100-100-100-m-90-iso10646-1
>
> Which is a font made available when I do M-x set-frame-font
>
> Is there not a way to allow Emacs to use the same set of fonts that every
> other X11 application uses? How can it be that Emacs fonts suck when other
> applications have normal fonts?

When you use set-frame-font, you can use the exact same fonts as other
applications.  This is what I do, to select the exact fonts I want to
use. Currently (frame-font) -->
"-unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-13-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1"

(frame-font is from
https://gitorious.org/com-informatimago/emacs/source/pjb-xresources.el)

When you use M-x menu-set-font RET you get a font menu with pre-selected
font families. There's a way to configure this menu with your own font
families, but it seems to have changed in emacs 24, so I'm not sure how
to do it anymore.

Have a look at: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SetFonts

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__