Help for eclipse

From: edu500ac
Subject: Help for eclipse
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 14:20:57 -0700 (PDT)

I have two questions. The first one needs qualification. One of the great
things in Vim is the help system. It is very complete, with examples and
tutorials in many languages, even in Esperanto and Guarani. I wonder whether
there is a similar help system for Evil. Is there? I understand that the Vim
community created their help system, and that if Emacs users want one, it is
necessary to work for it. However, I don't want to start adapting the Vim help
system to Evil if somebody already did it.

The second question is about Eclipse. When I visited their page early this
morning, there was a claim saying that Eclipse was downloaded almost 5 millions
of times. I wonder how many downloads Emacs have. But the question is not this
one. I use Emacs to serve dynamic html pages. It makes sense, because
generating dynamic pages requires text processing operations, and Emacs is a
text editor. Then I tried to compare the speed of Emacs and Eclipse. I must
have done something wrong, because Eclipse is proving to be very slow in my
machine.

While Emacs start up time is considerably less than 1 second (half a second
with a lot of plugins), Eclipse is taking 15 seconds, no plugins. Besides this,
Eclipse takes almost 10 minutes to accept a game project with  20000 lines of
C. Again, flymake checks for erros almost in real time. To make a long story
short, Eclipse is proving to be so slow that it is uncomfortable to use
productively. Is this true? Is Eclipse very slow?

In any case, I need to bench-mark the start up speed of Emacs. Therefore, I
created a file that worked well under normal conditions. Here it is:

;; File: kill.el
(insert "Hello, world!")
(save-buffer)
(kill-emacs)

Here is how to use it:

Kostas$ time emacs test.txt -Q -nw -l kill.el

real    0m0.128s
user    0m0.604s
sys     0m0.043s

I want also the startup time of Emacsclient. Therefore I started Emacs daemon.

emacs -Q --daemon

However, Emacs client does not have a -l opetion. Therefore, I tried something
like this:

Kostas$ time emacsclient -e '(progn (find-file "ttxt.txt") (insert "Message1")
(save-buffer))'
nil

real    0m0.014s
user    0m0.001s
sys     0m0.002s

My first question is whether there is a way to put the script inside a file,
instead of on the command line.