Getting Emacs to play nice with Hunspell and apostrophes

From: Nikolai Weibull
Subject: Getting Emacs to play nice with Hunspell and apostrophes
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 17:39:25 +0200

Hi!

How do I get Emacs to play nice with Hunspell and apostrophes.  I
thought I had it covered, but it seems that something has changed and
now M-x ispell won’t recognize “isn’t” as a word anymore.

First off, what English dictionary should I be using?

Second, how do I get Emacs to send words containing apostrophes to Hunspell?

Fiddling with WORDCHARS in en_US.aff seems so wrong, as Emacs will
then send stuff like 'isn't' as a word.

The final step is getting “isn’t” to work with Unicode apostrophes,
but let’s take it one step at a time.

It’s beyond me how this isn’t working, but I’m sure I’m doing something wrong.