Re: Getting Emacs to play nice with Hunspell and apostrophes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Getting Emacs to play nice with Hunspell and apostrophes
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2014 21:17:26 +0300

> From: Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com>
> Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2014 18:53:47 +0100
> Cc: Emacs Users <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> ;; Use hunspell instead of ispell
> (if (file-exists-p "/usr/bin/hunspell")
>     (progn
>       (setq ispell-program-name "hunspell")
>       (eval-after-load "ispell"
>         '(progn (defun ispell-get-coding-system () 'utf-8)))))
> (setq ispell-program-name "hunspell")
> (require 'rw-hunspell)
> (require 'rw-language-and-country-codes)
> (require 'rw-ispell)
> (setq ispell-dictionary "en_GB_hunspell")
>
> Hopefully this will help you get going with hunspell, which I have
> found is good! :) This is all I have set up for hunspell and it
> works okay with "isn’t" as I've just corrected it in this email.

I don't see how that would work, unless you are using a version of an
English dictionary that knows about the ’ character.  I don't think
the rw-* packages have anything to do with that, or could have.

So I think a more interesting for the OP question will be where did
you get that "en_GB_hunspell" dictionary you are using, because that
dictionary might actually hold the answer for his questions.

P.S.  Most, if not all, of what rw-* packages do is already handled in
the ispell.el that comes with the latest versions of Emacs, which
include a full support for Hunspell.  You might as well try using
Emacs without those add-ons, you will probably find they are not
needed anymore.