Re: Getting Emacs to play nice with Hunspell and apostrophes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Getting Emacs to play nice with Hunspell and apostrophes
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2014 21:40:24 +0300

> Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 20:28:08 +0200
> From: Nikolai Weibull <now@disu.se>
>
> On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 5:39 PM, Nikolai Weibull <now@disu.se> wrote:
>
> > It’s beyond me how this isn’t working, but I’m sure I’m doing something
> > wrong.
>
> I should perhaps also note that the only word in the sentence above
> that is seen as an error is “isn’t”, as “isn” isn’t a word.  I guess
> either Emacs or hunspell is ignoring single-character words “s” and
> “m” after each of the other instances of ‘’’ and “It” and “I” are of
> course seen as correctly spelled words…

Emacs just goes with whatever the .aff file of the dictionary you use
says.  And it cannot do anything else, because the speller uses that
dictionary, and decides by its rules what can and what cannot be in a
word.

Look in the .aff file you use, and you will see that it knows about '
and about n't and about 's, that's why these work.  There's no magic
here.

So I think you must get a hold of a Hunspell-compliant dictionary that
knows about the ’ apostrophe.