Re: Overriding some face attributes without changing the default(s) one(

From: Alexandre LAURENT
Subject: Re: Overriding some face attributes without changing the default(s) one(s)
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 22:23:10 +0200

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 8:02 AM, Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem is that in emacs 24.3.1 default face specifications are
> merged with the face specifications defined by a theme, so what you see
> is a "bold" defined by your theme and the bits from a default spec.  In
> emacs 24.4 (and in the current trunk) your theme would work as expected:
> if a face is themed, then the default spec is ignored completely.
>
> If you want to make emacs 24.3.1 display only themed faces, you have to
> override all the bits of the default spec in your theme (which sounds
> horrible IMO), so for example the following should "free" your
Yes it is horrible, I wanted to avoid that.
> background:
>
> (custom-theme-set-faces
>  'monokai-nox
> ;; ...
> '(whitespace-line ((t (:background unspecified :weight bold))))
Actually, setting the foreground to unspecified does not work either.
I'm pretty sure it takes the "default" face and this face only, which
is different from the multiple faces applied when opening a source
file (no matter what that source file is).
I also define this default face in both my themes.
> ;; ...
> )
>
> If you are interested, I wrote something about that here:
> <https://github.com/alezost/alect-themes/#emacs-2431-and-earlier>
>
> Also there were some related bugs, for example:
> <http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16658>
>
> I hope it was helpful.
Yes it is!

Since I definitely need emacs24.4 for some other features/fix (ex: the
rectangular region to be visually highlighted), I'll just wait for the
package to be available on my distro.

Thank you.

--
Alexandre LAURENT