Re: Why isn't ert-buffer.el part of Emacs?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Why isn't ert-buffer.el part of Emacs?
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 21:43:16 -0400

> I recently discovered 'ert-buffer.el' and find it very useful.  It is
> introduced and discussed here:
> I wonder why such a generally useful library isn't included in Emacs (I
> don't even find it in the package repos)?

I vaguely remember hearing about ert-buffer.el at some point.  I don't
have enough time to investigate its usefulness myself, so I can only
judge it based on how much it's used.

One way to show its usefulness would be to write a patch for Emacs's
test/automated subdirectory showing how it lets us simplify those tests.

I think if such a library is useful, then it belongs in Emacs's core
rather than in GNU ELPA, since we'd probably want to use it for Emacs's
own tests.

        Stefan