Re: Getting Emacs to play nice with Hunspell and apostrophes

From: Sergio Pokrovskij
Subject: Re: Getting Emacs to play nice with Hunspell and apostrophes
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 09:48:05 +0700

I can't tell you how much I dislike the ugly quotes in Emacs Info,
e.g.

╭────
│ `C-c C-a     (`org-attach')'
│    The dispatcher for commands related to the attachment system.
╰────

I always use paired quotes, but normally I use the ASCII
apostrophe.  I admit this causes problems for the speller with
e.g. the Wikipedia convention about its representation of
''italics'', '''bold face''' etc.

[...]

  Yuri> Now let me tell you how I do curly quotes.

  Yuri> First, with my right thumb, I hold the AltGr
  Yuri> modifier. Then, I press k and l in sequence to get a
  Yuri> balanced pair of double curly quotes, or ; and ' for
  Yuri> single quotes (I customized my xkb configuration files to
  Yuri> get this but it works similarly with the out-of-the-box
  Yuri> config).

In Emacs I use (on both Linux and MS Windows):

C-c 6  to produce the English 66-99 pair “_”
C-c 9  to produce the German 99-66 pair „_“
C-c "  to produce the French angular pair «_»

The point gets positioned in between:

(defun insert-66-99 ()
  "Make a pair of 66-99 quotes and be positioned to type inside."
  (interactive)
  (insert "“”")
  (backward-char))

(global-set-key "\C-c6" 'insert-66-99)