Re: How to `start-process' in different terminal?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to `start-process' in different terminal?
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 08:33:50 -0400

> | terminal-list is a built-in function in `C source code'.
[...]
> but the function returns
> ,----
> | (#<terminal 1 on /dev/tty>)
> `----

Emacs's terminals are not the OS's terminals.  It's the "output devices"
that Emacs currently uses.  So if you have several "emacsclient -t"
sessions (or used make-terminal-frame), each one will have its own
"terminal" (one might be on /dev/tty1, another on /dev/pts/4), and every
time you use make-frame-on-display on another display you'll get
another "terminal".

> in my case although Archlinux with systemd has several terminals
> pre-initialized AFAIK.

But Emacs isn't using these, hence they're not in the list.

> So this `terminal-list' is just about M-x term from within Emacs and
> then

No, M-x term is yet something completely different.  These are virtual
terminals created inside Emacs for use by other applications.

        Stefan