Re: Why aren't `find`, `find-if`, `remove-if` part of Emacs Lisp?

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Why aren't `find`, `find-if`, `remove-if` part of Emacs Lisp?
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 01:27:37 -0400

In article <mailman.4322.1403739913.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> wrote:

> If it's a bad idea for Elisp to follow Common Lisp then how about some
> Elispy functions?  That is, why not include in Emacs simple functions
> like "find" that don't use keywords, like the Elisp's "member".  Those
> could be made fast.  They could be named slightly differently too to
> avoid namespace collisions, e.g. "find-item", "find-iff", "remove-iff",
> etc.  Anyone who wants the Common Lisp ones can use cl-lib.el.

member and memq already do mostly the same thing as find, except the
latter works on arrays as well as lists, and it returns an index instead
of the tail of the list.

Maclisp got along for years without find. If it was good enough then, it
should be good enough now. :)

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA