Re: system-wide input methods and unmodified keys

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: system-wide input methods and unmodified keys
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 13:05:58 -0400

> Ideally, the IM would only ever handle keypresses that would eventually
> call `self-insert-command' in emacs. I have no idea how this works,
> however -- I don't know which application "comes first" in receiving
> keypresses, and whether emacs could conceivably intercept these
> unmodified keys and prevent the IM from reading them. I imagine if the
> IM comes first, then there's no hope.

The IM comes first, indeed, hence the problems.  Maybe there's a way for
Emacs to temporarily suspend the external IM processing.  IF so, someone
will have to implement support for it :-(

But if/when such support is installed, we could maybe automatically
disable IM processing after C-x or in windows displaying
special-mode buffers.  That would be really welcome.

        Stefan