TLS POP in VM

From: Hikaru Ichijyo
Subject: TLS POP in VM
Date: 27 Jun 2014 18:37:08 GMT

Before anyone asks, the reason I'm asking this in a general Emacs
newsgroup and not some forum for talking about VM is because I'm running
GNU Emacs 24, which is supposed to have internal support for SSL without
using a stunnel program.  Someone may know about Emacs 24 SSL support in
general (irrespective of VM), and that might help.

Anyway...can VM do POP/IMAP over TLS?  All of the examples I see in
documentation show POP over regular SSL, port 995.  Can you open a
connection on port 110 and negotiate encryption with a TLS handshake?

I'm currently trying to do something like this (login replaced with
"LOGIN-ID" in example):

(setq vm-pop-folder-alist
     '(("pop-ssl:pop.comcast.net:110:pass:LOGIN-ID:*" "Comcast"))
)

It's not working.  Do I need a stunnel program to do TLS?  I currently
have nothing set for vm-stunnel-program because I was hoping the new
internal SSL in Emacs would be used.

--
He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent