emacs -nw display bug?

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: emacs -nw display bug?
Date: 30 Jun 2014 15:57:09 GMT

Hi all,

I seem to have run into a bug in Emacs's display code. Recipe to
reproduce:

- start Emacs with `emacs -nw'
- open a longish text file
- (set-window-margins nil 40 40) ; use some value appropriate to the window
width
- (setq-local mode-line-format nil) ; disable the mode line in the current
window

Now, if the file is long enough (that is, longer than one screen), the
last line of the file will not have the appropriate window margin but
will instead start at the left window edge, as if the left margin equals
0.

I suspect this may be due to interference with the mode line, even
though there isn't one, but that's speculation.

The problem does not occur with GUI Emacs. Furthermore, it is
independent of the terminal emulator being used and even occurs on the
Linux console (i.e., without X altogether), so it's safe to assume it is
indeed an Emacs bug.

Anyone have an idea what's going on, or should I simply submit a bug
report?

TIA

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm