Re: Documentation on the command-line?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Documentation on the command-line?
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 22:58:54 +0200

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> Sounds very similar to "apt-cache show"

Yes, I think the difference apart from some minor
differences in layout and presentation order is that
with 'aptitude show' you prompt the repos for the data,
so it is newer (sometimes). But apt-cache is on the
other hand faster and probably the data don't change
that much anyway.

> I've never had any success with `C-h k' or similar, so
> I tend to use "F1 v/k/whatever" which gets the same
> result.

OK, C-h is better I would say because then you won't
have to reach and move your hand from typing position
(and then back again), but as long as you get there I
guess.

> Yes I am on Debian testing, and a quick play shows
> that tlmgr' does work even though everything in
> 'tex-live' was installed using the Debian package
> manager, in fact, there was a major upgrade this
> morning.

Well, it would certainly such if those were in
conflict. Anyway, when you compile LaTeX often it says
it cannot find some file. Not one of your files, a
library or whatever. Then, try installing it with tlmgr
- most often it works! Before first usage (i.e. once
then never again) strike 'tlmgr init-usertree' (as a
normal user) - to populate a database or something to
the like, I suppose.

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573