Re: Documentation on the command-line?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Documentation on the command-line?
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 10:05:03 +0200

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

> It's not in Emacs, it looks like the installation of
> info manuals is wrong.

Yes, I assume most software come with documentation for
the man/less (Emacs [wo]man mode etc.), info, and
possible other tools around to access it (even .html
pages for whatever browser) and that this doesn't come
with the browser tools themselves (except for how to
use the very tools :)). So it is not in Emacs but it is
Emacs.

>> But yes: both info emacs and info "Emacs FAQ" gets
>> the Emacs FAQ (identical stuff).
>
> What happens if you do "C-h i m Emacs RET" in Emacs?

Of course, I don't get it there either. I get:

Emacs FAQ
Emacs-w3m
Emacs-w3m-ja

(Gosh, bet you didn't know I speak Japanese? Just like
Logan, nobody bothered asking. Gedan mawashu geri -
okidoki!)

> I know that in Debian they consider the Emacs
> documentation to be "non-free" because of a clause of
> the GNU Free Documentation License.  That means you
> have to install the Emacs info file from a "non-free"
> repository.  I always assumed that applied to the FAQ
> too though.

Aha, that explains it. Yeah, I remember I had to
install the gcc documentation (gcc-doc) explicitly for,
I guess, the same reason.

Yeah, what is the reason?

In /etc/apt/sources.list, put for example:

deb http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ jessie main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ jessie main non-free contrib

But, what is the Emacs pack called? There is no emacs-doc.

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573