Re: diacritics in emacs but not in emacsclient

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: diacritics in emacs but not in emacsclient
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 09:24:03 -0400

> However, when I try this in an emacsclient window,
> coming from mutt, this produces a question mark.

That indicates that Emacs thinks the "output device" (i.e. the terminal
emulator) does not know this character (because the coding-system used
doesn't include this char).  It doesn't affect the buffer's content,
only the display.  But again, it indicates that Emacs doesn't think the
terminal is using utf-8.

IIUC your situation is:

  In Terminal.app, your ssh to a GNU/Linux server, and in that ssh
  session you run "emacsclient -t".

What happens if instead of "emacsclient -t" you run "emacs -nw -Q"?
Can you then enter non-ascii chars and are they displayed correctly?

        Stefan