Re: advice on hash tables?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: advice on hash tables?
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 11:22:00 -0700

> Hi Eric,
>
>> 理性認識 理性认识 [li3 xing4 ren4 shi5] /cognition/rational knowledge/
>
> Since the dictionary is organized by lines, consider using simple text
> search.  This gives you results nearly instantly (try isearching the
> dictionary file, or M-x occur !); OTOH, going through the file and
> creating some lisp structure from it will cause a large delay, probably,
> lots of seconds.
>
> BTW, here's how helm implements a dict lookup interface for some
> dictionaries avoiding building up a Lisp structure:
>
>   https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm-dictionary

Actually that's a very good point... I'm doing the manual isearch thing
now, and that has gotten annoying enough that I wanted to automate it,
but you're quite right it would make much more sense just to write a
function to zip through the file and find the definition. At least at
this stage of things. Thanks!