Re: Selection threshold with mouse

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Selection threshold with mouse
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 11:26:17 -0700

In article <mailman.5704.1405791121.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> > When I set region using mouse from left to right, region expands at
> > very end of each character.  Is it possible to set to threshold to the
> > middle of a character instead of very end of a character?
>
> Not too sure what you mean, but the region (selection) is the
> sequence of characters between two buffer positions (point and mark).
>
> Emacs buffer positions are always between characters (or before the
> first character or after the last character).  They are never "on" a
> character.

To expand on this, it's essentially the same as selecting a character
with the mouse. If you click on a character, the cursor will be put on
that character. But when the cursor is "on" a character, the point is
actually to the left of that character -- if you set the mark and then
move left, the highlighted character is not in the region.

So swiping works consistently with selecting a character. When you swipe
to the right, the rightmost character isn't included in the region until
you reach the space between it and the next character. When you swipe to
the left, the character is included in the region as soon as you go past
the space between it and the next character.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA