Re: Feeling lost without tabs

From: Kevin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: Feeling lost without tabs
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 11:20:59 +0200 (CEST)

Had a similar experience. Searching for some way to manage my buffers taught me
about Ibuffer:

http://emacs-fu.blogspot.fr/2010/02/dealing-with-many-buffers-ibuffer.html
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/IbufferMode

It basically creates a list of all your open "tabs", and you can teach it to
sort stuff in meaningful categories.

- comes with Emacs since version 22
- "teaching it" simply means adding a line like ("Category Name" (filename .
"dir/to/category/")) to your config file. Filters can be based on file path,
editing mode, file size...
- I made C-x C-b open Ibuffer rather than buffer-menu. I don't find the two key
strokes too taxing (tell Left Pinky to go sleep on Control, get Left Index and
Right Index to hit X and B roughly at the same time, there, done. Touch typists
will probably tell me I should use Left Middle or Left Ring to reach X)
- the screen space is replaced by the first buffer I choose to open.
Admittedly, the tabs bar on Notepad++ is always present; I got used to its
absence, but I think I saw others suggesting ways to get something that stays
"always on"