Re: Feeling lost without tabs

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: Feeling lost without tabs
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 10:19:16 -0400

Sampath Weerasinghe <swe20144@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm slowly migrating from notepad++ to emacs.
>
> I feel a bit lost because emacs doesn't show
> tabs. I work on multiple projects, I get distracted by various things,
> but when I come back to the seat it is the tabs that
> remind me which project I was last working on.
>
> I know C-x C-b pops it up, but involves multiple keys and it also
> takes a a lot of screen real estate.
>
> I'm wondering how others overcame this.

The multiple keys part is easy:

(define-key global-map [(f9)] 'electric-buffer-list)

Why hit 2 keys for something you do so often?

For, me tabs would be a huge annoyance.
I've got the WM set to no title bar for emacs.
I've got emacs customized for no toolbar and no menubar.
So, all I've got in Emacs windows is text.

--
Dan Espen