Re: Feeling lost without tabs

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Feeling lost without tabs
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 19:02:48 +0100

Sampath Weerasinghe <swe20144@gmail.com> writes:
> I know C-x C-b pops it up, but involves multiple keys and it also
> takes a a lot of screen real estate.
>
> I'm wondering how others overcame this.

There are many ways to deal with this, as others have shown.

I often leave Emacs open on a buffer list to remind myself of what I was
doing.  I remap the keys C-x LEFT and C-x RIGHT to shorter combinations
(I use C-4 & C-5).  If I know the buffer isn't one of the ones I've used
recently I use C-x b is I know it's name, if not I use C-x C-b.  I've
mapped C-x C-b to buffer-menu-other-window.  That only changes one thing
compared to the default, it makes the cursor move to the buffer-menu.  I
find that useful because the buffer-menu has useful navigation keys.
For example, "1" will make the selected buffer fill the whole frame.
"2" is useful too, do C-h m in a buffer menu and you'll find some useful
keybindings.  Like Eli I tend to use tag following when I'm navigating
code.

BR,
Robert Thorpe