Re: dynamic and lexical scope, attempted summary with example

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: dynamic and lexical scope, attempted summary with example
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 16:02:13 +0200

> Right, but I think in this case, it's not a good idea
> to learn that in passing.  I really recommend to read
> some literature about it - this isn't trivial.  Both
> kinds of scope have their rights to exist and their
> use cases.
>
> When I first heard about scope, I though "This does
> only matter in situations I avoid".  But lexical
> scope in a functional language is a basis of lots of
> advanced programming techniques.  OTOH, dynamic scope
> is as well imperative to programming in LISP.
>
> It's explained e.g. here:
>
>     http://www.paulgraham.com/onlisp.html
>
> There are books easier to read than this, but the
> chapter about scope is well understandable without
> reading the rest, I think.

Yeah... I read so much. Five years of pitch-black
computer science. What do I get? Not a dime in my
pocket and only "read the Emacs manual", "read the
Elisp manual", read that, read this... Do I go around
telling everyone: write code, write code, write
code...? No. But the only reason I don't do that is
because I know no one or very few would actually do it
if I did. Well, let's see if anyone comments on the
material in a more applied way... stayed tuned for the
next episode of Operation Emacs - the same channel, the
same terminal!

PS. But thanks again for you other comments that were
very helpful. DS.

--
underground experts united