Re: Feeling lost without tabs

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Feeling lost without tabs
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 11:02:56 -0600

Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Besides it is a principle of mine that only a minimum information -
> the information that I need to do what I want to do - should enter
> my eyes and brain.

Yep.

> But in this case, I think the OP considers his tabs to be in that
> vital category. So regardless of what we think of tabs for Emacs, we
> should help him find a package to get him that. As for me, I don't
> know of any tabs in the Emacs world except those I have already
> mentioned, in w3m.

Oh I completely agree.  I was just adding my reasoning to the
discussion.  Thanks for keeping focused on the original issue.

In that spirit I am surprised that no one has mentioned the emacs
speedbar.  I am not using it and therefore I didn't mention it but
perhaps that would be the right mental model for the OP?

  https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Speedbar.html

  https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/speedbar/index.html

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SpeedBar

  http://cedet.sourceforge.net/speedbar.shtml

Some screenshots:
  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SrSpeedbar

And that is all I know about it since I am not using it.

Bob