have new Gnus message not always fullscreened (was: [gnu.emacs.help] Re:

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: have new Gnus message not always fullscreened (was: [gnu.emacs.help] Re: Feeling lost without tabs)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 23:40:46 +0200

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> I hadn't been aware of buffer-menu.  Playing with it
> now shows that it works very similarly to
> electric-buffer-list.  I think anyone using either
> buffer-menu or electric-buffer-list are in the same
> group and want the same thing and could use either of
> those almost interchangeably.  I assume
> electric-buffer-list came first and buffer-menu
> duplicated the behavior since I have been using
> electric-buffer-list for a very many years and had
> not ever heard of buffer-menu before?  That is my
> assumption until I learn otherwise.

Well, I don't know (what was first).

Yeah, it is interesting, I didn't know of either
electric or buffer-list. I knew of the command `C-x
C-b' but I thought that was a buffer-menu command, as
another of the do-something and then
do-something-other-window (or perhaps
do-something-split-window). So it was interesting to
learn there were so many ways to do (superficially at
least) the same thing.

I didn't manage to follow the description of keys, but
that much I understood that you don't like changes to
the window configuration. Here I agree 100%... I have
managed to rid my Emacs of some of those cases which
are, as you say, disruptive, but one in particular
remains...

To create a new message from anywhere in Emacs, I have
`C-o m' bound to a function that looks for the Gnus
group buffer - the assumption is that it exists if and
only if Gnus runs... (Otherwise it starts Gnus and
tries again.) If Gnus runs, it uses

(gnus-post-news 'post "")

to open an empty buffer, with the headers and so on as
configured, in message-mode. However, it doesn't
respect what is currently displayed - it is always
fullscreened.

Anyone knows how to not make that happen?

The entire defun:

(defun new-message ()
  (interactive)
  (if (get-buffer "*Group*") (gnus-post-news 'post "")
    (progn
      (gnus)
      (new-message) )))

--