Re: Feeling lost without tabs

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Feeling lost without tabs
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 02:25:56 +0100

> Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:
>> Sometimes having a set of different functions that do
>> things slightly differently is the way that Emacs
>> provides for customization.  To give another example,
>> C-j will make a newline and indent the next line.
>> There's a function called
>> reindent-then-newline-and-indent which can be used
>> instead by remapping it to C-j.
>
> ...what?

Like I said, Emacs sometimes provides several similar functions as a way
to provide users with options.  Often doing that is simpler than using
variables.  The function "reindent-then-newline-and-indent" indents the
current line, inserts an newline then indents the next line.  Nobody is
going to run that function using M-x, it's there so people can map it to
a key, normally replacing a default function (such as to C-j or RET).
That's why buffer-menu and buffer-menu-other-window are present
too.

BR,
Robert Thorpe