Cannot set mouse pointer / cursor color on Mac OS X (10.9)

From: Joe Matarazzo
Subject: Cannot set mouse pointer / cursor color on Mac OS X (10.9)
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 11:09:39 -0700

Running Emacs.app, the "Official release" from emacsformacosx.com, I have
been unable to find any way to change the color of the I-beam cursor used
when the pointer hovers over text in the Emacs buffer. I'm using a dark
color scheme (black background) and the I-beam provided by the system,
which is a black I-beam with some transparency around it, is nearly
impossible to see.

I've tried:

(set-mouse-color "white")

and

(setq default-frame-alist '((mouse-color . "white")))

and

(set-face-background 'mouse "white")

all of which indicate that they should set the mouse pointer color, but to
no avail.

Thanks for the help,
Joe