Re: Whats wrong with this defcustom?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Whats wrong with this defcustom?
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 00:50:41 +0200

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

> What I mean is, Emacs Lisp has several types of
> equality, eq, equal, etc. Thien-Thi Nguyen corrected
> my mistake about lisp reader syntax. That is,
> "'(something)" turns into "(quote (something))".

Yes.

> This is a conversion that happens before evaluation
> is involved and before equality is involved (as you
> may know). Then later evaluation turns it into
> "(something)".

Yeah? Isn't it just plain evaluation inside-out?

(equal '(something) (quote (something)))     ; t
(equal '(something) (quote (somethingelse))) ; nil

> The lisp reader is very separate from the lisp
> interpreter or compiler, for example think about
> this: (let* ((x 1257) #'x) function)

OK? What does that illustrate?

Is there a hidden layer somewhere?

Equality in terms of data, isn't that just comparing
the end results of evaluation? (And this equality being
defined differently for the different functions.)

Equality in terms of code - can that be anything short
of identical code (perhaps not taking indentation and
such into account)?

--
underground experts united