Re: how to handle rtf

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: how to handle rtf
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 03:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 3:33:26 PM UTC+5:30, renato wrote:
> I try to explain, why do I do I need to use .rtf, and why do I'd like to do
> with emacs:
> In the company where I work, I have to open rtf files, insert some text
> (plain text), save it, upload on a server, that will elaborate that file,
> replace the text tha I've inserted (that is a  a variable name) with the
> content of the variable.
> The prob to use MS Word or LO, is that, when I open this file with this
> program, the insert some rtf code, that let the server app not to process the
> replacement. (i.e., my program look for [**VARIABLE_NAME**] and replaces it
> with the real content of the variable), but, when I save from MS or LO, my
> variable will be corrupted (i.e., is no more [**VARIABLE_NAME**-], but...
> [**VAR(\hich\af1\dbch\af37\loch\f1_IABLE_NAME**])
> of course, in this way, my parser, will not recognize the variable name.

> So, my prob is to try to edit this rtf in the more plain text as possible.
> But, not be confused, with the .rtf code.

> This is why, I'm lookin for sothings that let me edit .rtf in emacs, but with
> sothings that let me read without the rtf code.

> Have I been more clear?

Yes

You need to clarify one important thing: How much of the 'r' in the 'rtf'
(aka the formatting) you really need.

It appears from your description to be very little or none at all.
In which case saving (from MSO or LO) as (plain not rich) text and working with
that would be the natural way.  After that munging that text-file in emacs or
python or ... is a different question.

If however you *do* need the formatting one way that comes to mind offhand is:
Use org mode and the odt exporter.

In general, rtf is nominally text with 'richness' ie formatting.
However the formatting is WAY WAY too much for you to be able to do normal
text processing on it and maintain your sanity