perhaps rephrase "misplaced interactive spec"

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: perhaps rephrase "misplaced interactive spec"
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 23:06:49 +0200

If have a minor mode (i.e., buffer local) for caps, all
in sweet software [1]. I got it from someone else but I
modified it to auto-reset when one uppercased C
constant or acronym or whatever is typed, so you get
back to non-caps automatically.

I got the following message when otherwise successfully
and without warnings byte-compiling it:

;; caps.el ... Warning: misplaced interactive spec:
;; `(interactive (list (or current-prefix-arg (quote
;; toggle))))'

Turns out, I didn't have a docstring! As in, the second
line of:

(define-minor-mode caps-mode
  "Caps on you."
  :init-value nil
  :lighter " Caps")

After thinking my brains out over this, I see now in
the help that

(define-minor-mode MODE DOC ...

so I wonder why I just didn't get a
wrong-number-of-arguments? That would have instantly
made it clear.

Well, just a suggestion. But I think most people will
have a hard time deciphering that kind of error
message.

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/caps.el

--
underground experts united