Re: viper-mode C-[ behavior change in Emacs 24.4

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: viper-mode C-[ behavior change in Emacs 24.4
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 18:54:47 -0400

> So then the question is: if not for stable software,
> why would anyone want software that can be up to two
> years old, just so that the distro itself is stable?

I use Debian testing.  Every once in a while "aptitude upgrade" doesn't
work quite right (e.g. recently it switched to systemd which broke my
boot because it hangs waiting for a non-exiting device due to a broken
fstab entry which earlier just caused a harmless error message).

Such problems are unavoidable.  When you're dealing with a large number
of computers, you don't want to deal with those problems one
a regular basis.  Instead, you want to do upgrades "slowly" (e.g. at
most once a year).  Yet if you use Debian testing/unstable and don't
upgrade regularly, you might end up vulnerable to security bugs.
Hence Debian stable which lets you "upgrade" to fix security bugs at any
time without (hopefully) risking breaking your systems.

        Stefan