Re: viper-mode C-[ behavior change in Emacs 24.4

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: viper-mode C-[ behavior change in Emacs 24.4
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 01:04:23 +0200

> I use Debian testing. Every once in a while "aptitude
> upgrade" doesn't work quite right (e.g. recently it
> switched to systemd which broke my boot because it
> hangs waiting for a non-exiting device due to a
> broken fstab entry which earlier just caused a
> harmless error message).
>
> Such problems are unavoidable. When you're dealing
> with a large number of computers, you don't want to
> deal with those problems one a regular basis.
> Instead, you want to do upgrades "slowly" (e.g. at
> most once a year). Yet if you use Debian
> testing/unstable and don't upgrade regularly, you
> might end up vulnerable to security bugs. Hence
> Debian stable which lets you "upgrade" to fix
> security bugs at any time without (hopefully) risking
> breaking your systems.

This discussion is to complicated for me. I do 'sudo
aptitude update' (or I have an alias for that) before I
install new software, which I very seldom do. That's
all I do. I don't do the upgrade stuff.

I have

deb http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ jessie main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ jessie main non-free contrib

in /etc/apt/sources.list

I have never had problems with not being able to boot
or anything like that. On the other hand I don't manage
a network or multiuser system or anything like that. I
just have a Emacs and tmux and zsh and sometimes ssh
and rsync or scp to my school's Solaris. Perhaps it is
the reliance on just a few software parts that protects
me from both software and distro unstability. Everything
just seems super-stable. Am I normal or am I doing
something wrong? :)

--
underground experts united