Re: problem with https and w3-fetch ... sometimes

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: problem with https and w3-fetch ... sometimes
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 18:34:36 -0600

Emanuel Berg wrote:
> prayner <prayner@unimelb.edu.au> writes:
>
> > Quite recently my access to google searches using
> > emacs/w3 has broken.
>
> What is w3? Is it some progenitor of Emacs-w3m?

I previously ran into mention of Emacs W3 and therefore had researched
these references already.

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/w3

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emacs/W3

> If you'd consider using w3m, or w3m code perhaps still
> works for you, I have written a lightning-fast system
> for all kinds of searches - just bind it to a global
> keystroke, and search (not just with Goggle) from
> anywhere in Emacs - also, it suggests the region text
> as default, and has other cool stuff as well.
>
> http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/w3m/search.el

Because the original poster mentions emacspeak I presume that is the
reason for using W3.  W3 is the first listed application in the web
task list.  I presume they might be visually impaired and have been
using it this way for quite some time and will be accustomed to the
way emacs W3 works.  But I think that emacspeak will work well with
w3m too because w3m is listed in the list of web applications for
emacspeak too.

  http://www.emacswiki.org/EmacSpeak

  http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/

Bob