Re: running a command that requires two parameters on a file

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: running a command that requires two parameters on a file
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 10:42:18 -0400

In article <mailman.7002.1407823212.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/6/14 9:10 AM, Haines Brown wrote:
> > I am in the habit of bringing up ! in order to run a command such as
> > xpdf on a selected file.
> >
> > The problem comes when I want to run the command wkhtmltopdf, for it
> > calls for two parameters. That is, emacs won't let me do: ! wkhtmltopdf
> > input.html output.pdf.
> >
> > Is there a way I can do this withou raising a terminal to make the
> > conversion with it?
>
> Mark both files with `m', then `! wkhtmltopdf *'

This method is probably only useful when the order of the filename
arguments is not important. But if one file is input and the other is
output, and the order determines which is which, you could run into
problems if Dired puts them in the wrong order.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA